The application of statistical procedures and computer technology to problems in forest mensuration and forest management planning. The course covers the following topics:
- motivation for modeling tree and stand growth,
- types of growth and yield systems,
- individual tree volume and taper equations,
- explicit models (dominant height, site index, stand density, survival functions, yield functions, adjustments for cultural treatments),
- implicit models (diameter distributions, pdf's and distribution free),
- individual tree models (distance dependent and distance independent),
- compatibility with whole stand models,
- growth model derivation and analysis (Generalized Algebraic Difference Method).
For all the above-mentioned topics model derivation, data requirements, parameter estimation methods and model validation procedures will be discussed in detail.