The aim of this part is to provide general background to the topic. Students conduct literature survey in a selected topic - drainage or mowing.
1. Please use at least 3 scientific publications (more are welcome) to predict the effect of changes in management (drainage/mowing) on the performance of the rare orchid Dactylorhiza majalis
2. Prepare the report basing on up-to-date scientific knowledge applied in this case study
3. You can use the information on a broader subject - eg, wet meadows, similar species like Dactylorhiza incarnata of similar habitat preferences (make sure if they are not from a faraway region and can be applied)
4. The selected article (must not repeat among groups) should be briefly explained in one paragraph and be incorporated as part of the study, just in more detail. It does not have to be the most relevant article to the topic - can be in fact a side topic that seems interesting to you. Describe briefly methodology that was applied by the authors and most important conclusions. Make sure the paper is well incorporated in your story flow.
5. The report should follow the IMRAD structure - Materials and Methods, Results and Discussion.
6. Take into consideration - If the owner wants to increase the land productivity, what could be other methods to convince him to adjust the management to the requirements of the rare species occurring on his land (tip, agro-environmental schemes? planting?)
The reports will be assessed on the basis of:
1. Structure - correct divisions into chapters
2. Literature - proper transfer of knowledge from other cases to solve a problem. use of references
3. Scientific soundness - application of the proof-based approach, conclusions
4. And most importantly - to what extent the problem was solved
Students submit their final report here
With this task we begin a project devoted to solving problems related to the occurrence of invasive plants species.
You will be working on different scenarios (cases) derived from the real situation, where invasive species spread lead to environmental, social or economical problems. As in the previous task, you will perform a scientific study to solve this problem.
The task will be based on:
1. Lecture - see video Introduction to invasive species recorded on loom
2. See the description of your case (1 out of 4)
3. Prepare a PowerPoint presentation (analogically to rare species report) that you will present on skype videoconference in 2 weeks.
In 1 week be ready with a draft PowerPoint presentation and send it to me for a verification (by 19.04 midnight)
In 2 weeks Present in groups. (preferably 21st).
Detailed instruction are given in a separate file.
You are being hired by the private landowner as specialists which will assess the extent to which the planned development might affect the existing vegetation and ecosystems. Your aim is to perform a literature review and assess potential impacts of the elements of the planned investment on the plant communities and plan additional fieldwork that should be undertaken to complement the desk study. Propose the mitigating actions where the development might severely affect the ecosystems.